Saturday, November 1, 2014

Late TD Lifts Stetson Past Campbell 28-24

BUIES CREEK, N.C. – Stetson’s Ryan Tentler tossed a go-ahead touchdown pass with four minutes remaining and Ryan Powers intercepted a Campbell throw at the goal line to push the visiting Hatters past the Camels Saturday at Barker-Lane Stadium.

Tentler hit Rob Coggin with a 37-yard scoring pass on fourth down and seven to give the Hatters their first lead of the game (28-24) with 4:03 to play.

With the ball back and 3:56 to go in the game, Campbell drove 71 yards on 14 plays, including a Dakota Wolf five-yard run on fourth and one to give the Camels the first down on the Stetson 14.

After stopping the clock with 13 seconds remaining, Wolf’s pass was tipped and intercepted by Powers at the goal line, securing the win for the Hatters.

Stetson improves to 4-5 overall and 2-3 in Pioneer Football League play with the win, while Campbell dips to 4-5 on the year and 4-2 in conference games.

Keith Goss
Credit: Campbell Media Services
Campbell ran for 243 yards in the loss, led by Wolf’s 63, the team’s most since piling up 295 in a win over Valparaiso five weeks ago. Keith Goss ran for 59, while DeShawn Jones posted 47 yards on the ground for the Camels, who had five players with 35 or more rushing yards.

Wolf also rushed for a touchdown, adding 93 yards and a TD on 12-of-21 passing. Jordan Hildreth led all Campbell receivers with 48 yards on a pair of catches.

Andrew Yost posted nine tackles for CU, while Greg Milhouse gathered seven and forced a fumble.

Tentler paced Stetson with 91 yards on the ground and another 245 through the air, tossing three touchdowns in the win on a 13-for-24 clip. Kegan Moore was targeted three times for 112 yards and two touchdowns.

Donald Payne led Stetson with 27 tackles, a Barker-Lane Stadium record, including two for loss. Powers and Davion Belk added 11 and 10, respectively.

Campbell took the second half kick-off and drove 57 yards to set up Mitchell Brown’s 23-yard field goal and take a 24-14 lead.

The Camels again drove deep into Stetson territory, but Mitchell Brown missed a field goal wide right. A Keith Goss 41-yard scoring run was nullified by a holding penalty.

Tentler hit Kegan Moore on an 80-yard touchdown pass on a post pattern to bring Stetson within 24-21 with 36 seconds left in the third quarter.

Howard returned the ensuing kickoff 93 yards to the end zone, but CU again was called for holding on what would have been a scoring play.

The Hatters drove into Campbell territory, but Grant Amick’s 46-yard field goal attempt sailed wide right with 7:25 left in the fourth quarter.

On the third play of the game, Brandon Mobley intercepted Tentler’s pass and raced 40 yards to put the Camels in front. It was Mobley’s third career “pick six” – school record – and second in as many weeks. It was Campbell’s six-straight game with at least one interception.

The Hatters answered by driving 82 yards in just five plays. Tentler’s 55-yard keeper set up Stetson with a first-and-goal; then he hit Kegan Moore with a 10-yard touchdown catch.

Campbell then drove 77 yards to retake the lead. David Salmon hit Jordan Hildreth with a 36-yard reception on third-and-10 from CU’s 23. Wolf scored on a QB keeper on fourth-and-goal from the two and Mitchell Brown’s PAT pushed the lead back to seven.

Jabri Ridenhour
Credit: Campbell Media Services
After the Campbell defense forced a three-and-out, CU drove 59 yards in six plays to extend the margin to 14. Akile Jones ran for 35 yards on three carries and Wolf found Jabri Ridenhour in the end zone from 10 yards out for the score.

Stetson then drove 80 yards on just five plays to draw within 21-14. Tentler ran 28 yards; then passed to Austin Marks for 21 more to give the Hatters a first down at the Campbell 31. Dre Long ran 27 yards to give Stetson a first down at the Campbell three before Cole Mazza covered the final three yards to bring Stetson within seven.

Campbell returns to Barker-Lane Stadium next weekend for its home finale, hosting Missouri Baptist at 1 p.m.

Postgame quotes: Campbell head coach Mike Minter
“I told the guys that this is probably going to be the hardest loss they ever had. It is tough to swallow when you control the game and then lose the game in the last few minutes when you should’ve won. I told them that they had to learn from that and not fall in the tank because of how this game went. We ran the ball well and defensively, we gave up four big plays and four touchdowns, and you can’t do that. When we get in the green and red zone, we have to score. We didn’t do as well today. They made more plays than us, and that is ultimately what it boils down to. I felt like we were in control the whole game, even to the point when they scored and we were on the three yard line. We didn’t take advantage of our opportunities early for touchdowns. That’s what you have to do. When you get a team on the road, you have to take advantage of it. We didn’t do that. I felt pretty good about the game, even to the point of that last drive, I felt like we would score and win the football game.”

Story courtesy of Campbell Sports Information