Saturday, October 25, 2014

Camels Edged at Marist for First PFL Loss 27-20

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y. – Marist’s Atiq Lucas ran for a 31-yard go-ahead score with 2:35 remaining handed Campbell its first Pioneer Football League loss, 27-20, Saturday at Tenney Stadium.
Marist improved to 2-6 on the season and 2-3 in PFL play, while Campbell ended a four-game winning streak and slipped to 4-4 overall and 4-1 in league games. The loss also ended a three-game PFL road winning streak dating back to last season, tying a school record.
The score came after Campbell tied it up with 9:43 to go on Brandon Mobley’s 16-yard interception return for a touchdown, knotting the game at 20-all.
Campbell’s seventh game with at least one interception this season, and fifth game in a row with a pick (10th interception this season).
The Camels trailed 20-13 after Zachary Quarles intercepted a pass of his own for a touchdown with 15 seconds remaining in the third quarter. The extra point was missed, wide left, leaving the Camels down just seven.
On the game-winning drive, Marist took over on its own 43 after an Adam Lutz punt. Facing third down, Ed Achziger completed a 16 pass for a first down. The next play went for a 10-yard Lucas gain before the 31-yard TD run.
Campbell redshirt freshman David Salmon passed for 336 yards in the loss, second-most in school history, on a 26-for-56 clip with a touchdown and an interception. Salmon targeted Ben Bolling, a redshirt junior, six times for a Campbell single game record 135 yards.
Campbell outgained the Red Foxes 394 to 313 in total offense and converted 3-of-4 red zone opportunities, but two went for field goals. Marist converted both of its red zone chances for touchdowns in the win.
Marist built an early 14-0 lead behind two touchdown runs from Atiq Lucas, scampering for 31 first half yards on 11 carries. Anthony Francis also passed for 135, connecting on 11-of-15 in the opening half.
Campbell answered with a 12-play, 75-yard drive, ending with a 12-yard touchdown pass, David Salmon to Jordan Hildreth with 8:31 to go in the quarter. Salmon completed 4-of-7 on the drive for 43 yards, while four Camels rushed five times for 37 yards on the scoring drive.
Immediately out of the break, Campbell’s Ugonna Awuruonye’s sack and forced fumble, recovered by Nick Drew at the 10 yard line, gave the Camels a short field. Unable to get into the end zone, Mitchell Brown nailed a 26-yard field goal to make it 14-10.
After forcing a Marist 3-and-out, Brown tacked on another field goal for the Camels, this time a 37-yard kick to pull Campbell within one at 14-13 with 6:03 remaining in the third.
Marist’s Anthony Francis hit 14 of his 24 passes for 175 yards and an interception in the win, while Ed Achziger went 4-for-7 for 30. Lucas ended the day with 104 yards rushing and three touchdowns on 23 carries. Joe Tralli hauled in 84 yards through the air for Marist.
Zach Adler paced the Marist defense with nine tackles, while Mike Kagafas tallied seven stops, three for a loss.
Jabri Ridenhour added 55 yards on seven catches for the Camels, while Austin Fleming posted 46 on three grabs.
Dwan Hanshaw led Campbell on the defensive side with nine tackles, while Aaron Nichols added seven.
Campbell will return home to Barker-Lane Stadium for its final two home contests, hosting Stetson on Nov. 1 and Missouri Baptist on Nov. 8. Both kickoffs are scheduled for 1 p.m.